Saturday, March 5, 2016

The Mind/Body Connection And How It Has Affected My Writing



You know it's funny but it's taken me over 38 years to really get how the mind/body connection affects me, how it probably affects us all.

Let me explain.

A little over a year ago I ended up in the hospital when my gall bladder tried to kill me. I know, how galling of it! (I'll wait until you stop groaning to continue.)

I was in the hospital for three weeks and then spent another two and a half weeks up at my parents recovering and for most of that time I could barely eat. Heck, for a couple of days I lived of IV fluid and ice-chips. I only left their place after I could stand up long enough to have a decent shower. In other words, my body was trashed.

The worst part of the whole situation though was I could feel my creativity falling away, feeling my mind getting feeble. I was the kid who read constantly but during my recovery period I could barely concentrate long enough to watch the Food Network! (Yes the Food Network sustained me when I couldn't eat. Yes, it's weird, I know.)

Even though I probably nearly died (maybe - I know my doctor was worried there for a bit but found that out long after I was out of the hospital) what worried me the most was that I might have lost my creative spark, my ability to write.

I know I'm not the only one this has happened to, but damn if it wasn't scary.

I'm glad to say I can still write. Now my fiction writing output has been negligible that last year because I've been schooling online to become a tech writer in addition to joining a gym and working with a trainer.

I've done the gym route before but this was the first time I've had a regular trainer and this brings me to the point I wanted to make. Today I went to kendo as regular and as has been happening lately I was just a little bit better than before. On top of that, after the class I wasn't as sore as before, meaning all the mental energy I would have used for pain management can go elsewhere, such as writing this post.

I could go on and on about this, but the truth is I'm excited about what this means. If I can keep up my training then when I finish my schooling or even before then I can get back into writing fiction, back into working towards the writing career I've always dreamed about.

I'm not there yet but each day brings me closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment