Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Importance of Checking Convention Websites

So you register for a convention that's going to be months ahead in the future. You've been there before, had a great time, so signing up for the next year is a foregone conclusion. No need to check the website for the con, as you've already made your decision, right?

Wrong! You can miss out on opportunities that way, especially if you're attempting to become an author.

I'm signed up for Ad Astra this year and looking forward to it. As I've said before, I had a blast last year and I'm looking forward to going and seeing some great people and attending some interesting panels. And that is what this post is all about.

Recently I checked out the website for Ad Astra to see if they'd started posting what panels were going to be run this year, and lo and behold what do I find but a "speeddating" event matching up writers with editors/agents/publishers. Oh what fabulous day! Surely I will attend this and find someone who will take by newly written novel (which I'm still in the process of writing but hope to have done by the end of March, nearly 48000 words written so far thank you very much).

But there's gotta be a catch. So, wanting to be sure I get a chance to get in and dazzle the literary gatekeepers instead of being left out in the cold I emailed the con staff asking if registration for the even was required. Turns out this was a good idea as, yes, registration would be required but they were still sorting things out and would put my name down as interested. Whoo Hoo!

So, checking a con's website every now and then even if you've already signed up is a good idea. Otherwise, you may miss out on a great opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment